What Does Mold Smell Like In Your House

Excessive moisture in your home causes mold to grow. If you are not aware of the extra moisture, you will be when the smell of mold becomes evident in your house.

So, what does mold smell like in your house? The smell of mold is often compared to that of wet socks, or rotten paper or wood. As the mold grows and multiplies, it will begin to release MVOC (microbial volatile organic compounds). These are chemicals released as the mold grows, and some of the smells that come from those are musty and pungent.

Some people have described the smell of mold as being meaty, or earthy, and others compare it to the scent that follows behind a rain.

Still, others claim mold smells camphor-like or like acetone, fatty, or nutty.

One release of the MVOC is an alcohol fermentation smell. There are many smells emitted by mold, just as there are many different textures and colors to this growing bacteria. A question many homeowners have is how to tell what they are smelling is mold or just a natural smell in your home?

How Do You Know It Is Mold You Are Smelling?

The first clue to knowing what you are smelling is mold, is the odor will not disappear. It will not matter what you do to cover up the smell; you cannot make the smell fade no matter what you do to ventilate the house.

The smell of mold can even be a scent you get used to. Mold grows inside of basement walls, under wallpaper, inside of ventilation ducts, under floorboards and carpets. With it growing in these spaces, it is very likely; you will smell the mold without being able to see it.

If you have noticed a persistent musty smell in your home, and no matter what you do, the smell continues, you should have your home checked so immediate action can be taken to get rid of the mold.

Even a suspicion of mold is present in your home, you should not risk your health, or that of your family’s, and have a certified mold test taken to avoid the risk of mold worsening in your house.

Having a certified mold test performed means your air and surfaces inside your home will identify if you have:

  • Mold growing inside of your home
  • How big of a problem the mold is, or how big of an area is effected
  • Mold growing in your home and what type of mold it is
  • Toxic mold growing
  • Health risks associated with the type of mold in your house

Having a mold test is essential as the first step to take when you suspect mold growing inside of your home. Some companies will provide this service for you with no conflicts of interest and who will not apply pressure on you to fix the situation.

You will be given all the information you need as to what type of mold is growing, how serious the problem is, and the health risks it will present giving you a choice on how to treat the problem.

What Happens If You Don’t Treat the Mold?

If mold is left untreated, it will cause permanent damage to your home. It will damage your furniture, ceilings, and walls as it leaves a stain wherever it grows. One of the biggest concerns with mold growth is the effect it plays on a person’s health and even that of your pets.

Some of the common symptoms people suffer from exposure to mold include allergic reactions, coughing, sneezing, flu, cold, irritated itchy throat, headaches, and difficulty breathing.

These symptoms are hard to realize as being connected to mold as they could be related to a common cold or fever. The elderly, children or those suffering from other sickness or illnesses are also more susceptible to mold symptoms.

Not all mold is toxic, and not all mold forms will cause adverse health effects. Having your home tested is the best solution to knowing if you need professional services to help control mold in your home.

Removing Mold and It’s Smell From Your Home

It is hard to identify mold as there are more than 100,000 species ranging from fuzzy to pink, green, or black. You cannot get rid of the smell of mold in your home.

You can use any form of air freshener or household cleaner on the market which may mask the odor, but it will return. If you are smelling the mold, it is growing inside of your home, and you are inhaling the compounds, and it’s spores.

Removing mold yourself means, you have to know exactly where it is growing. You would have to rely on your visual identification of the mold in order to clean it, even though you may not see it all or be able to smell it as some as an un-noticeable odor.

This bacteria can hide, and some are impossible to see or find inside the walls and underneath the flooring.

If you are able to spot some of the mold growth, you have to clean it properly. Improper cleaning can cause it to spread. You need proper containment, removal equipment, and air filtration in order to remove mold properly. If not treated correctly, the mold spores can become airborne and spread to other areas inside of your house.

Will My House Smell From Mold Removal?

The smell involved in removing mold professionally from your home depends on how severe your mold growth has spread inside of your house.

Professional mold remediation will involve high-powered chemicals; however, companies dealing in this form of removal tightly seal off the exposed areas with plastic and tape to trap the chemical’s smell from filling the house.

After the professionals have removed the mold, they will then deodorize the air to ensure there are no lingering smells present. Mold removal equipment has changed and become more sophisticated throughout the years, and many companies now use non-toxic, biodegradable products in their cleaning services.

Your home will return to its natural freshness after the mold has been removed.