When you want your home to be nice for your family and guests, it needs to be clean and fresh. Nothing spoils the freshness quite like an unpleasant odor. To get rid of bad, musty smells, you must determine the cause and choose the solutions that will produce results.
What Is The Source Of The Odor?
In most cases, a musty smell in the house is caused by mold and mildew. The odor occurs when these substances build-up and release gases.
Mold can become a problem in areas where there is moisture and not enough air circulation. While darkness can worsen the problem, humidity also increases the risk of mold.
Mold can often be found in basements and attics, as well as kitchens and bathrooms. If the issue is not promptly addressed, mold can spread within the walls of your house, and invisible spores can be in the air you breathe every day.
How To Get Rid Of Musty Smell In A Room
Cleaning To Remove Odors
You can start by making a non-toxic cleaning solution:
- 1 part Boric Acid
- 2 parts White Vinegar
- 2 parts Hydrogen Peroxide
- 4 parts Water
Use this solution to thoroughly scrub throughout your house. It can be used on walls, furniture, tiling, and floors. Do not allow fabrics to become saturated.
The Benefits Of Charcoal
Activated charcoal absorbs impurities and eliminates foul odors. You can place the charcoal in every room of your house. Make sure to include the attic and basement where mold is most often present.
Natural Deodorizers: White Vinegar
Distilled white vinegar will remove musty smells from fabric. When used sparingly, it will not stain or discolor materials.
White vinegar can clean musty clothing and bedding. Pour 1-2 cups in the washing machine with hot water. Allow it to soak for 30 minutes. This will neutralize odors and disinfect the materials. After rinsing with cold water, wash the clothing normally with mild detergent.
White vinegar can be used on furniture. For fabric upholstery, use a solution of 1/2 tablespoon liquid soap, 1/4 cup white vinegar, and 3/4 cup warm water. For wood furniture, use 3 tablespoons vinegar and 1 cup water.
Natural Deodorizers: Baking Soda
There are a number of ways you can use baking soda to eliminate musty odors and freshen your home.
Baking soda can clean clothes and bedding. If you prefer to not use vinegar, use 1 cup baking soda instead. Set the washing machine to the hottest temperature, and air dry materials afterward.
Baking soda eliminates musty odors from basements and attics. Place baking soda in a small container or bowl. This approach can freshen your basement and attic up to 3 months.
Remove Odors With Coffee Grounds
If musty odors are present in closets or cupboards, coffee grounds can be an ideal solution. Fresh coffee grounds in small bowls will absorb and eliminate the odors.
Freshen Your Books With Newspaper
If musty smells are extreme, your collection of books may be affected. Instead of throwing away books you cherish, use newspaper to remove the odors. For the best results, dry the book’s indirect, warm sunlight. Place individual newspaper pages between the book’s pages. Wrap the book in a newspaper, and cover it with plastic wrap. Your books should be odor-free within days.
How To Prevent Musty Smells In The Future
With these easy, natural solutions, the bad odors should disappear. Some additional tips can keep your house odor-free in the future.
1. Measure and monitor the humidity levels throughout your house. You can purchase a humidity monitor for this purpose. The ideal humidity level is between 30% and 50%. If it is above 50%, purchase and use a dehumidifier.
2. Monitor your home’s temperature. Temperatures that are comfortable for you are more likely to cause mold growth. If the indoor air temperature is between 60 degrees and 80 degrees, check your home regularly for signs of mold and mildew.
3. A well-ventilated house can reduce the risk of mold. Take advantage of nice days to keep your windows open. Direct sunlight can prevent mold, too. When weather conditions are poor, or open windows are not an option, place fans in the rooms, basement, and attic.
4. If your house has been completely taken over by mold and odor, do not hesitate to contact a professional. An expert can provide mold removal services that you cannot do on your own.
Bad, musty smells do not need to ruin your house or make it unpleasant for your friends and family. These tips can eliminate the issue so your home is nice again. When it is fresh and clean, it will be a healthier environment, too.